1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 cup (185g) quinoa, well rinsed
2¼ cups vegetable or chicken stock or broth
2 cups rocket, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded finely
½ cup shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, or about 4 minutes.
3. Add the quinoa and garlic and cook for about a minute. Don’t let the garlic brown. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer in the centre, about 12 minutes. The mixture will be brothy.
5. Stir in the rocket, carrot and mushrooms and simmer until the quinoa grains have turned from white to translucent, or about 2 minutes longer.
6. Stir in the cheese and season with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately.